Using cache changes the game

Options
I recently migrated to the Prototype plan because of the following features:

- Dedicated server
- Redis cache
- Custom domain

I would like to share here that caching makes a lot of difference, mainly depending on your function/endpoint.

In simple query the cache can decrease the response time up to 2 seconds. But there was an endpoint that I do an external query in another API that takes around 30 seconds. In this case using cache in the first query takes up to 30 seconds but the others while the cache does not expire return in just 250ms.

I'm still learning how to use it in the best way, but here's the tip.

Comments

• Michael Udinski
    Michael Udinski Administrator

ADMIN

Options
    Great to hear! Caching via Redis is an incredibly powerful tool!
  • Denis Presciliano
    Options
    I am in the same boat, just upgrade to Prototype.

My app it's in beta, just friends testing.
    I think it's better I update my final domain before lunch the app.

I have my domain in GoDaddy, my plan is set my custom domain as a sub-domain, like api.mycoolapp.com, and leave my web application in mycoolapp.com

What is you thoughts, do you think I can have any DNS performance issues?
    Or should I have different domains, one for API and other to the Web Application?

Thanks.
  • bradvoegele
    Options

That's great to hear that you've migrated to the Prototype plan and are benefiting from its features, especially the dedicated server, Redis cache, and custom domain. Caching indeed plays a crucial role in optimizing the performance of your application, and its impact can vary depending on the specific functions or endpoints you're using.

Redis cache, in particular, is known for its ability to significantly improve application speed and responsiveness by storing frequently accessed data in memory. This means that instead of repeatedly fetching data from your database or making expensive calculations, your application can retrieve it quickly from the cache, reducing the overall load on your server and improving user experience.

Custom domains are also valuable for branding and providing a more professional appearance to your application. They make it easier for users to remember your website's URL and can help build trust and credibility.

It's essential to keep monitoring and fine-tuning your caching strategy to ensure it aligns with the specific needs and usage patterns of your application. Caching can be a powerful tool, but it's important to strike the right balance between caching and real-time data updates to maintain the integrity and accuracy of your application.

If you have any specific questions or need further guidance on optimizing your caching setup or any other aspect of your Prototype plan, feel free to ask.