Instance Vs Workspace

Options
I'm trying to understand the division better and what to use for what.

Two workspaces within the same instance would share a URL? or would the URL be different even then? 

What is the use case for creating separate instances and when separate workspaces within an instance?

Comments

• Sean Montgomery
    Sean Montgomery Administrator

ADMIN

Options
    A domain name maps to an instance.

The only way to access the API is through an API group. Each API group has its own base url. All API groups within the same instance have the same domain.

The API Group canonical id (/api:test123) is unique across the workspace, so there is no need to have any workspace identifier in the URL.
  • Jay
    Jay Member
    Options

By domain you mean both domain and it’s subdomain right? 

I guess I’m wondering what are use cases for creating an extra instance vs an extra workspace. 

I’m working on two apps, a Twitter client and a Reddit client (and in the future probably more unrelated to each other apps). They are both under the same umbrella “company”. Is there any reason or advantage/disadvantage to use workspace vs instance? 

The only one I can think of is that if I will ever want to offer a public API to my app it might be better to have a completely separate sub/domain?  

Do workspaces under the same instance share anything functionality or database wise?
  • Sean Montgomery
    Sean Montgomery Administrator

ADMIN

Options
    Workspaces share instance resources. If you have 2 big projects independent of each other then it makes sense to separate them across instances.