Able to diagnose the speed and performance of an API

Options
While I understand there are many reasons that an API can respond slow but it is totally unclear why it is slow on Xano. For instance, I have a parent-child relationship table to serve it on the below screen but consistently it loads up slow, like it take 3-4 seconds.[CleanShot 2022-01-23 at 20.21.32.png]I understand the server speed and performance varies based on the Xano plan but it would be great to provide tools around diagnosis to understand that is it a server issue or is it because of the query response time or too much data in the tables. 

It would help us to make a decision if it is required us to upgrade the plan or optimize the tables in db.

Comments

• Lukasz Kwiatkowski
    Options
    you can check the response time in the request history in the Xano API dashboard to be sure if this is your front / location or actually Xano.
  • Sean Montgomery
    Sean Montgomery Administrator

ADMIN

Options

First you need to capture the request in action. This is done either in Run & Debug or by looking at the request history that Lukasz mentioned.

Run & Debug has a secondary tab called Debugger which you can click on and see detailed timings of each function stack item.

Request history has the timing information in the side panel.

Let me know if you have any issues. It should be very clear where the issue is.
  • Pradeep B
    Pradeep B Member
    Options
    cool thanks, it was helpful 🙏
  • Pradeep B
    Options
    It doesn't seem to be normal - 14 seconds each on two different APIs, there are no more than 100 rows in those tables 😟
    [CleanShot 2022-02-01 at 18.18.10@2x.png][CleanShot 2022-02-01 at 18.17.42@2x.png]
    and for POST request - 5s[CleanShot 2022-02-01 at 18.21.16@2x.png]
  • Joe Matkin
    Options
     Hi, did you manage to fix this?
  • Pradeep B
    Options
     I am not sure what to fix it on my side when all APIs are performing slow.
  • Joe Matkin
    Options
     Weird not sure either. I hope you can fix it
  • Ray Deck
    Ray Deck Trusted Xano Expert ✭✭✭
    Options
     can you post the steps for one of those slow endpoints, like /twitter_users? Could help with an "aha" moment from those of us in the community. And of course the xano people have great office hours for tracking hard issues. 
  • Sean Montgomery

ADMIN

Options
     you can click on those request boxes and get detailed timing for the entire function stack sequence. It will be very easy to see where the bottleneck is. Just click on those boxes.
  • Pradeep B
    Options
     Here is what it looks like 
    [CleanShot 2022-02-16 at 22.48.16.png][CleanShot 2022-02-16 at 22.50.26.png][CleanShot 2022-02-16 at 22.51.11.png]
    I am not quite sure why it is beyond 10kb but is that the reason?

but today's response is beyond 25s 😞
    [CleanShot 2022-02-16 at 22.52.44.png]
  • Sean Montgomery

ADMIN

Options
    It looks like the free instance is running into some performance issues due to abuse.

Those numbers would not be happening on a premium instance. 

The team is looking into it. This isn't a trick to upgrade 🙂
  • Pradeep B
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Sean Montgomery

ADMIN

Options
     we think this is fixed now. Please give it another try. Performance should be fast.