Authenticated APIs: How to only show records belonging to a user

Options
Hello,

I'm building a project-management system where a user's role could be different by project. For example, on one project, a user could be the Owner but on another project, that user could be a Team Member, etc.

As an illustration, suppose there are two projects, Project A and Project B. Each project currently has two people assigned to the project (could be > 2 people) who have different access levels based on their roles (Owner or Team Member). Someone could be an Owner in Project A but be a Team Member in Project B.

To that end, I have created a Projects database table which when called responds with a result like this:

[
{
   id: 1,
   created_at: [some UNIX timestamp],
   project_name: Project A,
   created_by: 22 [this is a user_id]
   project_members: [
   {
      user_id: 22,
      project_role: Owner
   },
   {
      user_id: 47,
      project_role: Team Member
   }
   ],
   project_location: Denver, CO
},
{
   id: 2,
   created_at: [some UNIX timestamp],
   project_name: Project B,
   created_by: 15 [this is a user_id]
   project_members: [
   {
      user_id: 22,
      project_role: Team Member
   },
   {
      user_id: 15,
      project_role: Owner
   }
   ],
   project_location: New York, NY
}
]

In the example above, the person with user_id = 22 has the role of Owner on Project A but in Project B, he has the role of Team Member.

Since the project_members column / key in each Project is an array that has a list of objects containing users and their roles, how do I create an authenticated API call such that any user who logs into the app will only see projects where they are a project member.

I currently have a temporary method where I filter the query to show results where the created_by user id = auth id as you can see in the snapshot below.
[image.png]
However, this is not sufficient because those who didn't create the project but are members of the project team cannot see such projects when they log in. I tried using dot notation but the best I can do so far is create an array of the project_member user_ids for all the projects in the database, which is not helpful for what I want to do.

Any advice on how to go about this will be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Ray Deck
    Ray Deck Trusted Xano Expert ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is basically a question about managing access control levels, and for that you want a connection between users and projects - a many-many relationship. 

Multiple answers, but here's a reasonable one: I would create a table (user-project) that has one record per user per project - make the column types for each table references. Then you can look up for a user their related projects, along with the role they have (that's another field, presumably text). And you can look up for a project the users it has, just by picking which field you are using for your custom query filter! 
  • Eben
    Eben Member
    Options
    Thank you, Ray. This is an interesting point of view and it looks very promising. I hadn't thought of that.

Just to be sure I understand you, what you're saying is that I need three tables: Users, Projects, and User-Projects.

The Users table is where new users are created and maintained. The Projects table is where new Projects are created and maintained, and the User-Project table basically looks something like the image below where the user_id and project_id columns are table references to the User and Project tables. So the only thing 'created' in the User-Project table is the project_role.
    [image.png]I would also have a column in the Users and Projects tables respectively that reference this User-Project table so that I can look up a user and their related projects and roles, and for a project, look up its users and their roles.

Is my understanding above correct? If it is, I have a few clarifying questions:
    1. Since the user_id and project_id columns in the User-Project table are table references to the Users and Projects tables, how do I automatically update the User-Project table with a new unique entry every time a user creates a new project or assigns someone to a project?
    2. Related to #1 above, if I want to modify (edit, delete) a project or user from the Projects and/or User tables, how would I make it automatically reflect in the User-Project table?
    3. If I want to change a user's role on a project from the frontend, would I have to use the CRUD APIs for the User-Project table, or would I be able to do it from the CRUD APIs of the Users or Projects tables?
  • Ray Deck
    Ray Deck Trusted Xano Expert ✭✭✭
    Options
    Your APIs do not have to be directly related to the underlying tables. That's just a convenience that Xano auto-creates for you if you accept a checkbox when making a table. The APIs should be based on what makes sense in the business logic - what actions you want the user to take. Ask the data model and logic questions separately, and the whole thing becomes more pliable. 
  • Eben
    Eben Member
    Options
    Thank you. Will play around with it and see what can be done. But your feedback definitely provides a new angle I hadn't considered before.