Fuzzy Search Capabilities

Options

I just implemented Fuzzy Search on a few tables, but I'm seeing behavior I wouldn't necessarily expect. For example, I have users in my database named "Benjamin", when I input the entire name "Benjamin" I get the records returned. When I input the name "Ben" I don't get anything returned. I've tried adding wildcards after, but does not work. Is it supported to have Fuzzy search work with the behavior I mentioned above?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Michael Udinski
    Michael Udinski Administrator

ADMIN

Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Patopt you would want to do Ben with the wildcard in order to return Benjamin since nicknames aren't supported in Fuzzy search. So you would search "Ben:*" and it should return Ben as well as Benjamin.

Answers

• pacifist9722
    Options

@Michael Udinski same issue with me as well, the wild cards are not working in some of specific cases, which is very weird. (Screen shot attached) 1) Results are showing when i search "hima:*" 2) no results when I search "him:*".

Also just searching the wildcard ":*" is not returning any results, which makes it difficult to hard code the wildcard on the front end.

(Screen shot attached)

• Michael Udinski
    Michael Udinski Administrator

ADMIN

Options

Hi @pacifist9722 - "him" is considered a stop word. Which are not included in the search query. Stop words are commonly used words such as articles, pronouns, and prepositions.

Wild card needs to be combined with some text (that is not a stop word) in order to return results. If you just wanted to return everything, I would leave the input empty and check "ignore empty values" in the custom query expression builder

• Leo Med
    Leo Med Member
    Options

Hey @pacifist9722 , got your point. Unfortunately, the fuzzy search goes over simple search capabilities we sometines need. You can acheive that with external filtering by using "op": "includes". In your case for example, you should set the Search field in External Tab with this json

considering you want both vehicle_name and location to match your search. "search_query" should be your search input. By the way, I wonder why that operator is not clearly listed on the filtering documentation page. Thanks to @nocodetalks on

for notifing it. Also, the jsons given on the external filtering page will not work with the simple mode due to the "external" key that is wrapping the right json. Also got the issue on the external sorting page. @Michael Udinski , please consider updating the doc 🙏