Trouble with Regex pattern

Options
arturosanz
arturosanz Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in ? Transforming data

I'm trying to use the following regex pattern to validate phone numbers:

/+?\d{1,4}?[-.\s]?(?\d{1,3}?)?[-.\s]?\d{1,4}[-.\s]?\d{1,4}[-.\s]?\d{1,9}/g

I works fine on https://regex101.com/

However, the regex_matches filter returns always false.

The same problem here. No matter what the input is, returns "the phone number is not valid".

Try +1 123 456 7890 for instance. The pattern works on regex101 but not on here.

Does anyone know why?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Cameron B
    Cameron B Member, Administrator

ADMIN

Answer ✓
    Options

@devben you're totally right 😎

@arturosanz As Dev said, when I ran inside my own tool (I like regexr.com) I received this error:

I did use some community patterns, however, and this one worked remarkably well:

/^\s*(?:+?(\d{1,3}))?([-. (](\d{3})[-. )])?((\d{3})[-. ](\d{2,4})(?:[-.x ](\d+))?)\s*$/g

Answers

• Cameron B
    Cameron B Member, Administrator

ADMIN

Options

For the regex engine to work properly the regex value needs to be encased within //, so that your regex reads as:

/{regex}/

Some engines and some regex require the use of adding a g at the end, to make it look like /{regex}/g - but you should be able to get it to work by adding the last slash in your expression. Mind giving that a go? Cheers!

• devben
    devben Member
    Options

@Cameron B

It seems like he is already using forward slashes.

@arturosanz

I encountered an issue when trying your regex in regex101; specifically, the question marks appear to be non-quantifiable. You might want to consider the following regex pattern:

^([+]?\d{1,2}[-\s]?|)\d{3}[-\s]?\d{3}[-\s]?\d{4}$

I also appreciate regex101 they offer a community library where you can search for regex patterns. Check it out here: regex101: Community Pattern Library

If you're still facing difficulties, you could explore a custom JavaScript action and generate the code on the regex101 site.

I hope this proves helpful.🙃

Best regards,
    devben